Friday 20 November 2009

Capital City

It was time for the annual trip to London to explore the galleries and indulge in a little art culture. It was an opportunity to research some artists and possibly find inspiration for your work. On the other hand, it was far too rich with character to not find yourself walking through the city looking through a viewfinder. I was very aware of London being a centre for tourists worldwide and so made an effort to avoid looking for traditional shots, basically images you could buy from the off licence in Leicester Square as a postcard. It was also hard not to think Martin Parr, but seeing as he is part of my contextual study I decided to include a few infamous Parr shots if I could find them.

There are a couple of observations I made when selecting my photos and there were some images that have similar qualities to that of a photographer I have been looking at. The image 'Trafalgar' reminded me of a series I had seen on a website called LensCulture. Simon Roberts produced the series "We English' which looks at views of England that have significant resonance to his memory of his childhood; looking at the image 'Derby Day' which shows a similar sense of freezing a moment of busy movement and energy that you would expect to see in London.



"Sky, London 2009"

"Tower, London 2009"




"Heads, London 2009"

"Volunteer, London 2009"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog